Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Features request RSS
Browser Back Button
Page:  1  2  next 
Clay #1
Member since Jan 2003 · 91 posts · Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
One area that has always bothered me about BrowseAmp is the way that the BACK button functions.  :angry:

I haven't been able to determine when it works and when it doesn't.  I have learned that using the /.. always takes me back to the top of the previous directory (like it should) but it is a pain to then have to scroll down to where you want to be. It seems like BrowseAmp only knows about one or two levels of BACK. Can someone please explain this to me?  :unsure:

Is it real hard to implement another level or two to go back? I'm sure this post doesn't make too much sense because I don't know the right terms to use.

Most of the time in a "genere" directory (for example ROCK) then I explore down a couple of levels under an artist then I want to go back and be in the place in the ROCK direcory.

Thoughts?

Thanks - Clay
Saxtus (Administrator) #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 147 posts · Location: Athens, Greece
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Back button of the browser isn't supposed to work at all. And if Henry had programmed BrowseAMP to sent the correct headers for this job (PM me Henry if you don't know them) then at every try of yours to attempt to display an old page using the BACK button of your browser, will return you an error message to refresh the page because the page is outdated.

Solution to the problem might be to paginate the results automatically so it won't fill more that few lines. But this will complicate the BrowseAMP programming.

I am open to suggestions and if you want me to modify my skin in any way, please tell me!
Saxtus
Clay #3
I'm not sure what you can do in the skin and what is required in BrowseAmp itself.

My music is organized by genere (at the highest level) then artist within genere and album(s) within artist with tracks at the lowest level ... a fairly standard scheme.

I would like an option that takes the user back to the same place in the folder list where they were. In other words if I had picked a genere and then scrolled down five pages to find an artist ... looked at the possible albums and didn't want to select anything (or did select something) I want to back to the list and would see the same page where the artist list was positioned (now I go back to the top of the directory which makes me scroll down the five pages again).

Am I doing something dumb  :blink:
Saxtus (Administrator) #4
For this to work, Henry must:[list][*]Get rid of any "post" method he used to accept commands (must be replaced with "get" so they can be part of the URL.
[*]Have always the current path in the URL but not any volume changes or stop/play commands (how is this possible I don't know)[/list]Why not just put a javascript engine (which I can provide to Henry) so the user has a text box and when the user starts to type, the results are displaying dynamically (client side alpha-search)?
Saxtus
Henry (Administrator) #5
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Ok, let me explain.

Let's say you are in the standard mp3 folder "E:\MP3".

Then you change to folder "M" with "http://localhost/browser.html?dir=M".
The internal folder is now "E:\MP3\M".

The you change to "E:\MP3\M\Metallica" with "http://localhost/browser.html?dir=Metallica". So far so good.

Now you realize that you don't want to hear Metallica and press the BACK-Button in your Browser.

So what happens? We remember that the root directory we are in is still "E:\MP3\M\Metallica". When you click the URL "http://localhost/browser.html?dir=Manowar" BrowseAmp tries to show the "E:\MP3\M\Metallica\Manowar" directory because nobody told him to go back to "E\MP3\M".

hope that was clear...

How can we prevent this problem?
A. The complete path is always given in the URL.
  Problems:
  - URL length is limited (2048 characters).
  - Everyone can see your directory structure

B. disable browsing above standard folder
  Problems:
  - well, you cannot browse above standard folder  <_<

If most people want to use the BACK button we should make a poll which way to go...

@saxtus: plz tell me the correct headers for outdating a doc.
Clay #6
I think a poll is a great idea since I don't want you working on stuff that doesn't have value. Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this is important. I can live with it the way it is.

In the poll can we help you prioritize your enhancements? I don't know what you have "up your sleave" for BrowseAmp but there may be some hot items that we would rate much more important than making a back function.

Thanks for the consideration and have a good holiday ... I assume that's what you are doing ... skiing?

Sincerely - Clay
Saxtus (Administrator) #7
I think there is a solution:

Add anchors ("#") to each link line. Then a back (well, a link -- not the browser's button), will return the user to the line it was when clicked.

The catch:[list][*]Some overhead because each anchor does take place (even if it contains just a CRC)
[*]BrowseAMP must remember "x" broswsing levels so it can "undo" when user clicks back even for "x" times.
[*]If the user forgets and press "BACK" button of the browser, the all idea goes to garbage (hint: add new header commands to instruct browser not to keep old pages -- I can provide you with those Henry, just PM me if you need them)[/list]Well... Henry, is this a good solution or I am getting it too far?
Saxtus
Henry (Administrator) #8
Well, I'm not sure if the small advantage is worth the large overhead.

@Clay: Unfortunately I am NOT skiing this week.  :(  
I have a seminar at Deutsches Museum in Munich. I get a certificate for that. I need this for my studies. But I am sure that is going to be a lot of fun :wacko:
Clay #9
I'm not looking for a perfect "back" solution. I trust your opinion on the correct technique. If you need to supress the browser BACK button, so be it. How do others do it? Many sites allow almost 100% back functions.

This isn't that important (compared to some other work)!

Henry ... PM me with your priority list of enhancements.
Saxtus (Administrator) #10
Quote by Clay on 2003-02-05, 03:58:
Many sites allow almost 100% back functions.
BrowseAMP isn't a site...  :blink:
For example, can you press "back" while browsing an FTP site using your favorite FTP client? I don't think so...  :unsure:

But I still think that there is a solution (i.e. anchors).  :rolleyes:
Until then try SHIFT-CLICKing when entering a new dir. This way it opens at a new window and you don't lose your previous position.
Saxtus
Clay #11
Quote by Saxtus on 2003-02-05, 14:21:
Until then try SHIFT-CLICKing when entering a new dir. This way it opens at a new window and you don't lose your previous position.
I tried this and got a very similar result as using the back button ... here is what I did and saw.

- clicked on a directory (JAZZ)
- Scrolled down serveral pages
- SHIFT-click on an artist (new window came up just fine)
- Closed the window (returned to the old window)
- clicked on another entry (without SHIFT) and at this point the browser list went empty and there was no way to get it back without going back to the standard folder.  :(

The exact same thing happens when you use the browser back arrow ... try it.

Thoughts?

P.S. It happens the same on the base skin or Saxtus' skin
This post was edited on 2003-02-05, 19:35 by Unknown user.
Saxtus (Administrator) #12
Quote by Clay on 2003-02-05, 19:31:
- clicked on a directory (JAZZ)
- Scrolled down serveral pages
- SHIFT-click on an artist (new window came up just fine)
- Closed the window (returned to the old window)
- clicked on another entry (without SHIFT)
Ehhmmm yep.
You must click to go to previous directory before you close the window... :-p
Saxtus
Henry (Administrator) #13
I think you reached the limits of BrowseAmp... :huh:

Again: The only way to avoid these effects is to give an absolute path in the url.
I think I'll try this. Maybe selectable... You'll see...
Saxtus (Administrator) #14
Quote by Henry on 2003-02-05, 20:39:
Again: The only way to avoid these effects is to give an absolute path in the url.
If you do it, please put some smart javascript code (i.e. a variable) and don't repeat the whole path at every file link. This will produce a much more overhead that the "anchor" idea of mine...
Saxtus
Henry (Administrator) #15
Do you think every handheld pc supports JavaScript. I have none so I don't know  :(
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  next 
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 199.7 ms (115.5 ms) · 109 database queries in 77.1 ms
Current time: 2018-08-16, 21:36:09 (UTC +00:00)