Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General discussion RSS
Can Browseramp Play Remote Files?
Zouden (Guest) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
Hi,
I want a program that will allow people over a lan to request files to play on a central system - however, the files are on their own computer. Will BrowserAmp provide a system where people can visit the URL of the player computer, and que up tracks from their own computer, and BrowserAmp will stream the files over the network?
Or can it only play files that reside on BrowserAmp's hard drive?
Henry (Administrator) #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
BrowsAmp only plays files stored on the same computer or on a network drive/path connected to that comuter.

There is no way yet to upload and play files!

For streaming music you need Shoutcast.
It's another easy to use Winamp plug-in. BrowseAmp does NOT stream music itself.
Wal-Mart (Guest) #3
No profile available.
Link to this post
You can do it.. I did...
wallyx.com

I used asp.net to handle the file uploading to a _upload directory... then after the user uploades the file.. they can goto the _upload directory and queue it up :-)  

Let me know if you need help or my code and i will give it to you
Henry (Administrator) #4
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Hehe,  you have a really B) website!

I'll check this upload thing. It would be a great feature of curse.
Wal-Mart (Guest) #5
No profile available.
Link to this post
Thanks man.. I have so much to do with it!  Its gonna break any day tho.. i am running it all on a old crappy computer hahaha.   I can't wait till i get my new server  :-) btw, I am going to be putting a link from my site to yours... I just havn't got around to it yet.  Thanks for all the work you put into BA, its very very good!

Wal-Mart
wallyx.com
Guest (Guest) #6
No profile available.
Link to this post
Yeah, your website is great :)
I'm thinking about writing my own program thats not web-based at all. The clients would need a program to access the music server, but thats okay. It would connect to the music server via a standard socket, but when it tells the server to play a song, it sends a network path that the server can access it over... it would stream via windows file sharing (I really can't be bothered writing my own binary stream system).

eg, a string sent to the server might look like this:

enqueue \\mycomp\music\massive attack - protection.ogg'

so the server would then instruct Winamp (or maybe some internal player) to enqueue that song, sourced over the network.
patmar (Guest) #7
No profile available.
Link to this post
wal-mart.....

What is your uploading speed??? I tried to broadcast trough shoutcast myself but the stream wassen't as good as yours on 128kb...

Please help me...
Guest (Guest) #8
No profile available.
Link to this post
patmar, i have adsl at 1.5 mbps down, and 256 kbps up...  My upload is not fast at all, so i got some help from my friend at an isp.  I relay a stream to a box on his network at 128 kbps... so that uses about half my connection speed.  So when you goto my website wallyx.com and click "listen" you are actually pulling the stream from his box at the isp he works at.  There are some options in shoutcast to relay a stream, and thats what i am doing :-)  So that leaves me with about 128 kbps to run the website on my box :-p  Not much, but it works hehe
Wal-Mart (Guest) #9
No profile available.
Link to this post
That last post was by me.. i guess i need to take the time to register hehe
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 171.4 ms (84 ms) · 56 database queries in 71.4 ms
Current time: 2018-02-24, 12:26:14 (UTC +00:00)