Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General discussion RSS
find out ip on network (wireless)
turgan (Guest) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
I have a wireless network at home.what is the fastest way to find ip of a computer? i have cable connection and the ip on the computers changes frequently.<BR><BR><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><BR><a href=""></a>
turgan (Guest) #2
No profile available.
Link to this post
ip of another computer on the same wireless network<BR><BR><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><BR><a href=""></a>
Henry (Administrator) #3
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Have you tried NetStumbler?<BR><BR><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><BR><a href="http://www.browseamp.com">http://www.browseamp.com</a>
yosoome (Guest) #4
No profile available.
Link to this post
in win xp type in the run copmmand "ipconfig"
for win 9X I think the command is "winipcnfg" but I am not sure
 another way, with win xp is to go to the network connections control panel and couble click the connection to your network and then click the support tab, you IP will be listed right there. This should work whether it be wireless or ethernet .
sivasakti (Guest) #5
No profile available.
Link to this post
well, if you want to find the real IP address (as on the Internet) go to www.whatismyip.com, that reports it in a nice & easy to use format.
Henry (Administrator) #6
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by sivasakti on 2003-03-03, 16:06:
well, if you want to find the real IP address (as on the Internet) go to www.whatismyip.com, that reports it in a nice & easy to use format.
Well, this does NOT work in a LAN.  ;)
mavas #7
Member since Feb 2003 · 24 posts
Group memberships: Members
Ok, here we go.

Win95/98/ME: go to start. go to Run. Type in winipcfg (press enter or click OK)
Check the ip adress of the card you'r using. It should be one like 192.168.0.1, 10.0.0.2 or like this.

Win NT/2000/XP: go to start. go to Run. Type in command (press enter or click OK)
Now in the box that appears type in ipconfig
et voila there's your current ip :)
sivasakti (Guest) #8
No profile available.
Link to this post
Quote by Henry on 2003-03-03, 15:45:
Quote by sivasakti on 2003-03-03, 16:06:
Well, this does NOT work in a LAN.  ;)
Whoops, sorry, I read the first post and he said he had a cable connection and the IP changed frequently, then he said he wanted to find the IP of another computer on the same wireless LAN.

I can see why the cable co. would dynamically allocate IPs and why they would change, but why would the LAN IPs change frequently?

So if he wants to find out what IP the cable co is currently giving him, www.whatismyip.com or something like that is what he wants.

If he wants to find out what IP he currently has on the LAN, ipconfig will work.

Perhaps he wants to know the IP of one of the computers on the LAN from *another* computer on the LAN, in which case he's probably better off assigning names to the things.
FreeJack #9
Member since Mar 2003 · 10 posts · Location: nivaa, denmark
Group memberships: Members
Quote by mavas on 2003-03-03, 16:20:
Win NT/2000/XP: go to start. go to Run. Type in command (press enter or click OK)
Now in the box that appears type in ipconfig
et voila there's your current ip :)
This isn't strictly true.
The correct command to open a command prompt in 2k/xp is 'cmd', not 'command'.
Just thought i'd point it out :-)

Allan
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 226.6 ms (106.8 ms) · 64 database queries in 86 ms
Current time: 2018-07-21, 17:35:24 (UTC +00:00)