New BrowseAmp version (Important)
Page:  1  2  next 
Henry (Administrator) #1
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: New BrowseAmp version
Hi all!

I am currently working on a new BrowseAmp version. Please be patient until a first beta release will be available in a few weeks. I will try to consider all feature requests. Please visit the forums again to get more news.

So long

-Henry
Revontulet #2
Member since Feb 2008 · 1 post
Group memberships: Members
Its great so see that the Project isn't dead. Looking forward to the new version!
spanky #3
User title: Spanky
Member since Feb 2008 · 2 posts · Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Subject: Excellent News Indeed!
I am elated to hear that there will be new versions of Browseamp coming...

Frankly, I "stumbled" on the plug-in this morning while tryig to solve a home automation problem...I have distributed speakers with content (audio/video) driven from a rackmount media server in my basement, connected via Apple Airports (express) to the speaker systems.  Anyway, until I found this tool, I had to manually write to my home automation server (also in the rack) to expand the interface to do what I wanted it to do.  Browseamp is going to save me a LOT of time, and it seems to work great.  Although I did find I had to back-grade to WinAmp v5.13 to get it to not crash (WinAmp crashed - not sure if it was Plug-In related).

Regardless, I am crrently working to "skin" the thing for my use and am very happy to hear of your effort to expand it.  Frankly I was a little concerned that the last release was in 2004, and wondered why since it's nothing short of an excellent tool.  I am going to "advertise" this within the home automation boards out there.

When and if I open an office, I'm planning to use this to drive the sound there as well.  Thanks for a REALLY GREAT app, and if you need any help (testing, skinning, probably not code  :-D  right now) - let me know.

Godspeed,

-Spanky
Webmaster
Yellow Jacket Productions
http://www.yellowjacketproductions.com
Henry (Administrator) #4
Thanks a lot for your support. I'm glad that there are still some people that use BrowseAmp.
I am almost finished and in one or two weeks you can try an early beta. Stay tuned!
xcrustwadx #5
Member since Feb 2008 · 1 post
I'm glad to hear development of this plugin continues!!! I have tried SO MANY different web interfaces for winamp and I finally settled on this one and it's great.  I recommend it to everyone who needs this sort of control.

Let me start by saying I'm the kind of guy who disables the "Themes" service in windows and doesn't use a desktop background image!

I like browseamp because it's simple to use, lightweight and doesn't "scan" for music if i don't want it to (I have a large music collection).  Essentially the music browser is updated in real time (I dont want to wait for a MySQL DB to be updated with my newest music). Also the skins are easily edited so that I can customize for cell phones/ PDA / SSH w/ elinks on cell phone (faster than native phone web browser in my case!!).  The keep-alive feature is nice because now I can replace the longplayer software which also crashed a lot.  The checkboxes are useful if I want to add more than one folder to the playlist at a time(most all other web interfaces lack this feature... in fact even the Winamp interface itself lacks this!).  In the end I want to listen to music not wait for some bloated interface to load.  GREAT WORK!

I have tried:
netjukebox - bloated, requires a mysql, php, and apache.  It also has to scan and create a DB of the music.  Has some cool statistics features but requires a certain file / folder structure.  Would be great if not for the file structure requirement (I like to avoid NTFS junctions as much as I can!).
WAWI - (winamp web interface) - my second choice but was sort of ugly and crashed too often.  Skins were not (easily) customizable either.
Ajaxamp - really awesome but not suitable for anything other than a full blown web browser (PC only).  Therefore it is sort of bloated.  Doesn't have the "jukebox feel" either
httpQ - Not usable by itself really.  Not to mention that browseamp can be used in the same way.

So thank you for your contribution! A plugin made in 2004 still trumps those made in 2008 AND it still works with the current build of winamp (5.52 as of today)!  In 2004 this was way ahead of its time.  I'm looking forward to the new beta.
spanky #6
User title: Spanky
Member since Feb 2008 · 2 posts · Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Subject: While you're writing new code....
Hey Gang,

I realize this should go in the "new features request" section, but figured since this is where the activity is, and where the "new build" is being conceived, I might throw my hat in the ring for requests  ;-).

1)  I am using Apple Airport Express routers for audio distribution (one of the cool features they have) and since I despise iTunes I'm using a product by Rogue Amoeba called "Airfoil" to hijack the audio signal that goes to these "wireless zones" (one Airport for each and completely independent volume control - COOL!).  Anyway, I figured that since there's the ability to "shut down" the machine, we might be able to figure out how to select zones in Airfoil.  I wrote to the development group and they indicated no API available, so "hacking" might be the only option.  It's a thought - hey, a guy can dream, can't he?  CAN'T HE???  ...alright, on to the next...

2)  There seems to be a bug for some folks (I had it) that when setting "WAP" as the skin, you can't "un-set it".  We might want to look into it.

3)  It might be nice to "cookie" the browser with the locally-preferred skin.  It's a nice-to-have, I admit it since you can just "?skin=", but for the novice user it might be cool.

4)  Is there an API for Browseamp?  I mean besides being "skinnable", is it otherwise extensible?

5)  On a final note - since it's "the right price" has anyone considered making it open source?  Just a thought.

Good luck and Godspeed!

-Spanky
Webmaster
Yellow Jacket Productions
http://www.yellowjacketproductions.com
Henry (Administrator) #7
First, thank you very much for your support and your suggestions! I really appreciate it and it keeps me up to continue the work on a new release.
fyi: The new installer is ready! Only one more feature (file upload) is still under work. When this is done, you will get the installer with a first beta.

Now back to your questions/comments:

@xcrustwadx
I also tried some of the (few) web control plugins in 2002 and came to the conclusion, that there is nothing available to suit my needs. Thats why I decided to develop BrowseAmp. The first BrowseAmp (v1.0) was published in mai 2002. In version 2.x I changed the webserver core and the skin engine but the basic ideas of the first version still existed and will be continued in the new version. I have not tried any recently developed web control plugins but according to your summary, it's not worth the time right now.

@spanky
1) I have no idea (yet) what airport/airfoil does or what zones you might want to select. sorry...
2) The wap-skin lacks an options page to select another skin. I am aware of that. anyway I do not plan to deliver this skin any longer. You may rework it, if you like... ;-)
3) I will think about the cookie stuff and how that fits to the new webserver core. Thanks! btw: You can select a skin for each user and store sthe username/password in the borwser cache. Privacy protection... I know...
4) No.
5) Considered, yes. Result: No way. What would anyone do with it. Even I can't read my code after 2 beers...

--Henry
Henry (Administrator) #8
update: the beta is no longer available, since I released the final version. Link is the same.

Here is a first beta of the new Browseamp GT3.

download installer: www.thasler.org/BrowseAmpGT3/BrowseAmpGT3.exe ()

Please note the following key features:
  • full compatible with the previous releases of BrowseAmp 2.x (skins, settings)
  • all new webserver core (performance, stability)
  • album art display from ID3v2 embedded pictures
  • some new tags and commands (show ID3 Tag Info, see eXtended skin for examples)

Please give me some feedback about the following issues:
  • Vista compatibility
  • Winamp version compatibility
  • bugs, strange behavior

Hints/Known issues
  • Some Winamp skins (e.g. MMD3) cause trouble (winamp crashes when BrowseAmp is installed). Just use the default Winamp skin and you'll be fine.
  • Skype occupies port 80 by default. Disable in Skype Setup (Options -> Connection).

Enjoy

--Henry
This post was edited on 2008-03-02, 10:37 by Henry.
bb80301 #9
Member since Feb 2003 · 25 posts
Henry:

Using the new version right now -- works great!!  Thanks so much for your work on this & for sharing it with us.  This is an awesome piece of software -- I still can't figure out why everyone in the world isn't using it?

I really like the new features that are demonstrated in the eXtended skin -- cover art is implemented really well.  Is there any documentation (or can you post here) listing the new features?  Also, is there any way to get at the "comments" ID3 tag?  I have info in that tag that I've always wanted to display in my MusicMan skin -- I'm hoping this new version will allow me to.

Best
BB
This post was edited on 2008-03-01, 17:28 by bb80301.
Henry (Administrator) #10
After some final rework I proundly present the final release of BrowseAmp GT3 (v3.0).

download installer: www.thasler.org/BrowseAmpGT3/BrowseAmpGT3.exe

Documentation is up to date and included with the installer. An online version is available at: www.thasler.org/BrowseAmpGT3/help

@BB: The COMM-Tag can not be displayed with this version. Sorry, I'm working on it since there are some other tags I'd like to read (e.g. Lyrics).

Comment
*New major BrowseAmp release with
*completely redesigned webserver core
*full album art support (embedded ID3Tag images)
*new and more powerful tags + commands
*new options in config+user dialog (album art cache, user skin)
*new config window design elements
*Documentation updated

Vista compatibility is considered but not tested.

new features
HTML Tag added: <#albumart>
HTML Tag added: <#ID3Info>
HTML Tag added: <#errormessage>
HTML command added: albumart
HTML command added: cache
HTML command added: repeatall
HTML command added: fullscreen
HTML Tag improved: <#inifile>, result can be parsed recursively

bugfixes
a lot of...

hints
Using Skype with BrowseAmp may result in a BrowseAmp error message saying the port is already in use. This is because Skype uses port 80 for some reason. Use another port for BrowseAmp or change Skype settings (Options -> Connection).

known issues
some Winamp skins (eg MMD3) crash Winamp in combination with BrowseAmp. Use the Winamp Modern Skin to avoid problems.
This post was edited on 2008-03-02, 10:36 by Henry.
bb80301 #11
Member since Feb 2003 · 25 posts
Lovin' the new version, Henry.  Glad to hear that "COMM" tag is still possible in the future -- I'll keep my eyes peeled for announcements.

Thanks, again, for your efforts.

Best
BB
Azimuth #12
Member since Jan 2003 · 427 posts · Location: Chicago, Illinois - USA
Henry, my man!  :-D  Good to see you back at it!
LordK #13
Member since Dec 2006 · 7 posts
Hi Henry,

glad to see you back again with a new version :)

But unfortunenetly i found a litte bug or better spoken, a room for improvement ;)

I'm missing the Option on the extenden Skin to enter the name of the Cover File
because all cover files at my collection are called folder.jpg and not cover.jpg

The next point, if either the cover.jpg or the cover art at the ID3-Tag isn't avaiable,
the extened skin shows an normal image not found instead of an dummy image
like in Version 2.10 of Browseamp.

It would be nice, if you could fix this in the next release or at least tell me the
litte trick how enable the Dummy image if no cover art is avaiable.

Thanks and best Regars

LordK
mavas #14
Member since Feb 2003 · 24 posts
I'm so glad that there has been a new version of Browseamp!!!! I'm still using it for private parties.

I've discovered an error in the latest version 3.1
I'm using IE7, Windows XP and Winamp 5.531

When you are using the Extended plugin, and go to the Browserwindow then when you are scrolling down to the bottom it keeps you getting back at the last entry of the playlist. So far no others errors have been occuring. :)

Keep up the great work!
Henry (Administrator) #15
Thank's for your appreciation.

I really can't understand what the problem is. There is nothing irregular with the browser window. Maybe it's an IE problem since I use Firefox.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  next 
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 239 ms (146.2 ms) · 142 database queries in 94 ms
Current time: 2018-08-16, 21:50:13 (UTC +00:00)