Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Skins RSS
AjaxAmp
dmiller #1
Member since Jun 2006 · 5 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Ajax Amp - A full-featured skin that uses AJAX for rich, smooth operation. Features include drag-n-drop playlist sorting, volume slider, etc. A readme.txt is included with all the details.

See attached...hrmm...nevermind. Can someone tell me how to attach a file or give me the address of a site to which I might upload this skin?

~ Daniel

P.S. I tried sending this to [email protected] but it bounced (the problem had something to do with email forwarding not being able to find the destination address).
Tom W.M. #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 40 posts · Location: La Crosse, WI, USA
Your best bet is to simply upload it to your site (slick design, BTW).  Henry, the BrowseAmp dev, has been only infrequently available for a long while now.  My JSAmp skin was supposed to be added to the skins page long ago....

I'm looking forward to seeing how you dealt with the distinctly non-AJAXy way that BrowseAmp is constructed.  Especially if you have been able to manage client-side playlist sorting.  I couldn't figure out an efficient way short of writing a proxy server in Python that interfaces with the client in a different manner.
Saxtus (Administrator) #3
Member since Jan 2003 · 147 posts · Location: Athens, Greece
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Quote by dmiller on 2006-06-20, 12:51:
See attached...hrmm...nevermind. Can someone tell me how to attach a file or give me the address of a site to which I might upload this skin?
Are you sure that you have validated your e-mail when you've registered at the forum?
User's that aren't validated can't upload files...
Saxtus
This post was edited on 2006-06-23, 07:43 by Unknown user.
dmiller #4
Are you sure that you have validated your e-mail when you've registered at the forum?
Ahh, thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure I clicked on the account activation link in the email, but I just revalidated my account using the user id/validation key and its working now.

The skin is attached.

~ Daniel
The author has attached one file to this post:
AjaxAmp.zip 103 kBytes
You have no permission to open this file.
Azimuth #5
Member since Jan 2003 · 427 posts · Location: Chicago, Illinois - USA
Any tweaks that need to be done on my end to make this work? It never finishes loading.  :o
Azimuth #6
N/M...

You can enable parsing of .js files by adding the following line to mime.ini: js=text/javascript

:whistling:
dmiller #7
What browser are you using? I've only tested it on Firefox 1.5. I know it doesn't work on some older versions of IE (not sure about v6 or 7).

Was the JS parsing hint meant to say you got it working then? Why does that matter? I saw that mime.ini config option but it looked like a global setting (i.e. outside of the skin directory), and I didn't want to require any non-standard configuration outside of the files distributed with the skin.
Azimuth #8
I run Firefox 1.5.

You need to add that to BA's mime file for loading external js files. Once I did that, it worked.
Tom W.M. #9
The problem is probably the MIME-type.  BrowseAmp sends files whose MIME-types are not specified in mime.ini as application/binary.  Firefox is (and browsers other than IE are in general) more strict about such things--it may be rejecting it.  Clearly this is a BrowseAmp problem--there should be a reasonable set of built-in MIME-types, and you shouldn't have to enable processing of a file to make it work.

This is a really slick skin.  It's clean and responsive, with a nice design.  The only problem that I've had is that it doesn't like really large (e.g. 2000+ items) playlists--Firefox's "stop this script" warning pops up, and pressing "Stop" doesn't stop it from popping up again!  Since you're using innerHTML to update the playlist, I suppose that the issue must be MochiKit.Sortable.
dmiller #10
The problem is probably the MIME-type. BrowseAmp sends files whose MIME-types are not specified in mime.ini as application/binary. Firefox is (and browsers other than IE are in general) more strict about such things--it may be rejecting it.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't understand why it's a problem for you and not me. I'm using FF 1.5.0.4 on Win2K. You would think I would have had the same problem?

Clearly this is a BrowseAmp problem--there should be a reasonable set of built-in MIME-types, and you shouldn't have to enable processing of a file to make it work.
Yeah, there seems to be a few of these warts in BA. I think Henry said he was willing to give the source to someone. Would others be interested in contributing fixes and/or enhancements if we setup a sourceforge project? I'd love to see some of my wishlist items implemented.

This is a really slick skin. It's clean and responsive, with a nice design.
Thanks!!

The only problem that I've had is that it doesn't like really large (e.g. 2000+ items) playlists--Firefox's "stop this script" warning pops up, and pressing "Stop" doesn't stop it from popping up again! Since you're using innerHTML to update the playlist, I suppose that the issue must be MochiKit.Sortable.
Yeah, I noticed that too. It was a problem I didn't really think was worth going after since my playlists are not usually that long. If you can come up with a fix I'd be happy to update the skin.

~ Daniel
Tom W.M. #11
The problem is probably the MIME-type. BrowseAmp sends files whose MIME-types are not specified in mime.ini as application/binary. Firefox is (and browsers other than IE are in general) more strict about such things--it may be rejecting it.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't understand why it's a problem for you and not me. I'm using FF 1.5.0.4 on Win2K. You would think I would have had the same problem?

I can't say.  Actually, it wasn't a problem that I had--my mime.ini already had the JavaScript line because it's required for my skin.

The only problem that I've had is that it doesn't like really large (e.g. 2000+ items) playlists--Firefox's "stop this script" warning pops up, and pressing "Stop" doesn't stop it from popping up again! Since you're using innerHTML to update the playlist, I suppose that the issue must be MochiKit.Sortable.
Yeah, I noticed that too. It was a problem I didn't really think was worth going after since my playlists are not usually that long. If you can come up with a fix I'd be happy to update the skin.

I'm not sure that it's really worth fixing.  Any fix that you did do would probably involve basically rewriting MochiKit.Sortable.  You'd have to split up DOM manipulation so that it doesn't cause the "stop the script" error message.  I've done this for my syntax highlighting script, but it freezes up the browser for quite a while as it does it's stuff (e.g., http://freecog.net/scripts/MochiKit.js?pretty).  Since you use innerHTML to recreate the entire list, this would be repeated every time the playlist is updated.  That wouldn't work well from a usability perspective.  What I'd do is add a warning to the button that switches playlist modes--if <#playlist_numtracks> is rather large, ask the user if they really want to switch modes.  Another option might be to disable drag-'n'-drop sorting if <#playlist_numtracks> is too large, using more traditional up/down buttons instead.

Tom
Henry (Administrator) #12
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
I have corrected the E-Mail setup. I should now get every E-Mail set to browseamp.com.

But I suggest that you publish your skins in this forum since I have not enough time to process and publish every skin - though they are really nice. Sorry... :-(
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 227.4 ms (110.9 ms) · 96 database queries in 74.3 ms
Current time: 2018-07-18, 05:01:07 (UTC +00:00)