Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Skins RSS
Announcing JsAmp!
A Winamp look-alike BrowseAmp skin.
Tom W.M. #1
Member since Feb 2003 · 40 posts · Location: La Crosse, WI, USA
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
JsAmp is a BrowseAmp skin that looks just like Winamp 2.x--in fact, it can make use of any Winamp 2.x skin!  It's pretty much usable at this point, though the filebrowser could use a bit of work.  It takes an AJAX (Ascychronous JavaScript and XML--simply a way of updating the page without reloading the whole thing) approach, so it feels very similar to Winamp.  It is only known to work--at this time--in Firefox (or other Mozilla-based browsers), due to the advanced nature of some of the technologies used (CSS3, XML namespaces, SVG).  In Deer Park builds, the equalizer display (those lines above the sliders) is drawn with SVG.

See the project page for more information, or to download.  There is a demo  available (warning: will not work in Internet Explorer, and may crash Opera :( ).  The demo has many functions disabled, as they are dependent on being able to communicate with BrowseAmp (which is not running at freecog.net, of course).

Please post any comments, issues, or questions below.
This post was edited on 2005-08-03, 18:39 by Unknown user.
Azimuth #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 427 posts · Location: Chicago, Illinois - USA
Congrats! Looks like you spent a little bit of time on this.  ;)
I'll have to try it tonight.
Henry (Administrator) #3
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
How sick is that!! :o
I have just tested it and I am very impressed! I'll add that to the skin download section as soon as possible. Thank you for that.
Tom W.M. #4
Glad you like it! :-D
evaarties #5
Member since Dec 2004 · 10 posts
Just installed FF to test the demo and this looks really nice!! Have you had any progress finding out why opera crashes?
Guest (Guest) #6
No profile available.
Link to this post
Nope.  No idea.  I'll try the preview of Opera 9, and see if that works.
Tom W.M. #7
Oops!  That's me, above.
Tom W.M. #8
Okay, it seems to work in Opera 9 Preview (for Windows).  Unfortunately, it's really slow, and there are slight delays where things would be fading in on Firefox (Opera doesn't support the CSS property opacity, or a proprietary equivalent).  For now, I recommend using Firefox 1.5 PR1, as it's blistering fast at this sort of DHTML (even on my less than speedy computer).
evaarties #9
Member since Dec 2004 · 10 posts
Nice to hear opera 9 is supporting it :D. Let wait for the final.
Crazy MC (Guest) #10
No profile available.
Link to this post
Hi,

great idea... but it does not work for me.

I use FF 1.07, allways I try to load the server page (localhost:8080), FF asks me what to do with the index.xhtml.
If I choose to open it with FF, he tries to load the index.xhtml direct from the harddisk, not ovber the server url.

This ends up in an error message:

Quote by "Firefox 1.07" on 1969-12-31, 23:59:
XML-Verarbeitungsfehler: nicht wohlgeformt Adresse: file:///c:/DOKUME~1/TRANCE~1/LOKALE~1/TEMP/Index-1.xhtml Zeile Nr. 15, Spalte 2:<#include file="prefetch.inc.html"#>

Any hints about that ?

And yes, I copied the new mime.ini... and even restartet winamp.

Anyway, great work !
Tom W.M. #11
MC,

It sounds like what's happening is that Firefox is not recognizing the XHTML file as such (presumably it's being sent with a non-XML mime-type), and downloading it to a temporary directory.  From there, it opens it (since it's set as the default opener for .xhtml files).  When it opens it and encounters a BrowseAmp "HTML-tag" it shows an error message, becuase the hash symbols ("#") in the tag means that it's not valid XML.  So, BrowseAmp must not be sending the XHTML file as XML.  Indeed, since the "HTML-tag" has not been replaced, it must not event be parsing it.

So my best guess is that something went wrong when you copied in the stuff from mime.ini.  Would you post your entire mime.ini file?
Tom W.M. #12
Quote by Crazy MC on 2005-11-15, 00:27:
And yes, I copied the new mime.ini... and even restartet winamp.
Er, do you mean that you replaced the old mime.ini?  The new lines are supposed to be added to the current ones, making the entire file something like:
; this File contains the file extensions and their mime type of the files
; that are parsed for BrowseAmp tags.
;
; see http://hostutopia.com/support/s058.html for more MIME Types

[mime]
htm=text/html
html=text/html
xml=text/xml
wml=text/vnd.wap.wml

; JsAmp mime types
css=text/css
js=text/javascript
xhtml=application/xml
svg=application/xml
txt=text/plain
Pedee (Guest) #13
No profile available.
Link to this post
Hi

I get the same problem as Crazy MC.
The mime.ini looks like the one you posted, except the last line (txt=text/plain). I've tried using the one you posted, but it makes no difference.
I'm using FF 1.5.
Pedee (Guest) #14
No profile available.
Link to this post
I've installed the latest java update, and it did the trick. Looks real nice  :-p
Tom W.M. #15
Pedee,

I have no idea why a Java update would affect JsAmp.  JsAmp makes heavy use of JavaScript, true, but Java and JavaScript are totally unrelated technologies, despite their similar names.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 190.7 ms (103.3 ms) · 98 database queries in 80 ms
Current time: 2018-02-25, 09:29:11 (UTC +00:00)