Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General discussion RSS
Winamp in System Tray
ejmalvick #1
Member since Aug 2004 · 6 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
I am new to Browseamp and love what it can do. I notice that when I install the program it puts Winamp (the winamp agent) in the system tray even though that feature is not enabled in Winamp's preferences. I assumed this was the case so that if someone typed in the appropriate hyperlink, winamp would start up and start playing.

In my own experience, I find that the browser returns a connection refused message unless I physically start Winamp on the host computer. Is it supposed to be this way? It would be nice to not have to think about starting winamp on the host computer if this is the case, especially if I forget to start Winamp.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Once I start winamp I know the server is going. Perhaps the server itself isn't started unless winamp is running? Is there a solution?

Thanks... By the way, as it is, this is an excellent program. I think a nice improvement would be to add more drag and drop ability to the playlist features, though I understand if it is limited by the ability of html and the web broswer.

-Erik
Henry (Administrator) #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Welcome!

BrowseAmp is a plug-in for Winamp. Means it is started when Winamp ist started. No Winamp open, no BrowseAmp working. The Winamp agent has nothing to do with BrowseAmp and Browseamp does not affect its behaviour. Drag'n'drop can't be done with pure HTML. Maybe you are a FLASH expert and want to create a Flash based skin with drag and drop. Feel free to do so...  ;)

Anyway, have fun using BrowseAmp!
ejmalvick #3
I only ask because according to my Winamp configuration, the Winamp agent is not supposed to be on or in the system tray. This is the case when I uninstall Browseamp and before I installed it in the first place.

However, with browseamp installed, the Winamp Agent is on, whether I like it or not. The preferences show it off, but it is still there.  I can manually turn it off, but that would quickly get annoying.

Since it only appears when the Browseamp plugin is installed, I assumed that perhaps it was purposely done for the reason I originally asked about. If not, there is something in browseamp, whether you know of it or not, that makes the Winamp agent show up in the system tray.

Generally, I try to keep my system tray empty because it usually means a lot of needless RAM being used (when it goes unchecked and there are lots of things there). One program doesn't bother me, but it is something you should be aware of. I am running Winamp 5.04. I am not sure if that makes a difference.

It is still a fun program, and I appreciate all the features you do have in it. I wish I was a good programmer, but alas I'm not. Maybe in the future.

-Erik
Henry (Administrator) #4
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Have you tried to deselect the Winamp Agent in the Winamp installation routine? I have just tried 5.04, deselected the agent and it does not appear at all.
ejmalvick #5
That's how I did it originally, and how I've always done it for each version of Winamp I've ever used. I even completely removed it once, installed Winamp and then installed Browseamp. I've not tried uninstalling winamp and then reinstalling it with Browseamp left in place. Perhaps that would solve my problem.

There still seems to be some quirk, perhaps Winamp itself, or just some unknown combination of items. I'll try what I just suggested and see what happens.

-Erik
ejmalvick #6
I made a couple of tests. It seems (at least on my computer) that if I install Winamp and then install Browseamp, I get stuck with the Winamp agent in the system tray, even if I have it turned off. If I leave Browseamp installed, uninstall Winamp and then reinstall it (thus having Browseamp installed 'first') the Winamp agent does not show up. I did this a few times just to be sure I wasn't going crazy and that I wasn't overlooking something.

Perhaps it is a unique aspect of my computer or O.S. or other setups. I don't know. It isn't a big deal. I mostly just thought it would be cool if Winamp started when I typed in the ip address. Fortunately, I am just testing this out right now at work while I wait to get everything setup in my new Apt.

Thanks for your help. It is very few programs that offer support as you do. I only hope to support you with a donation in the near future. You deserve something for making perhaps the best program/plugin of its type.

-Erik
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 174.3 ms (78.3 ms) · 63 database queries in 61.4 ms
Current time: 2018-12-14, 21:46:51 (UTC +00:00)