Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General discussion RSS
Basic Connection Question
Connecting from a remote computer
mrdwab (Guest) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what exactly I should do to fix it... I'm trying to set up my desktop as the "server" where my mp3s are stored, and then connect with my laptop and/or my work computer. I've got a dsl connection and a wireless connection, so the address it gives me to access the browseamp on the web is 192.168.X.X  which is what I use to configure my router. In this case, the last number is unique to each computer using this router. Is there a different address I should be using to access browseamp? Do I have to do anything with port forwarding or anything like that? I'm using a belkin wireless router if that helps with the response.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Azimuth #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 427 posts · Location: Chicago, Illinois - USA
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
BA will not enable you to listen to music from a remote computer; it only allows control of the playback on that machine.

If you simply want to serve your audio files over the internet, you need to run a server on that machine. I recommend Xerver. SimpleServer by Analog-X is also good.

You then may need to open a port in your firewall (you do have one, right?) to allow access.
eracerbit #3
Member since Apr 2004 · 15 posts · Location: FL,US
on your server computer:

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101 <- This is the IP to connect to from your laptop.
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

You will need to disable windows XP firewall, do like 192.168.2.101:8080 if the port is on 8080.
<a href="http://www.way2.info" target="_blank">www.way2.info</a> - Find all information here
mrdwab (Guest) #4
No profile available.
Link to this post
Thanks for the advice. I'll try out the suggestions.
bushwacka #5
Member since May 2004 · 1 post
"BA will not enable you to listen to music from a remote computer; it only allows control of the playback on that machine."

This statement is true.  However, you can serve up your music with shoutcast server and winamp.  then use browseamp to control winamp, and listen to your stream by searching for your server on shoutcast.

you will need to port map to get to browseamp from the internet and setup dyndns if you don't have a static ip.

we had this setup running a while back, so I can vouch that it works.

10-4,
Bushwacka
The author has attached one file to this post:
hexleyHead.gif 10.1 kBytes
You have no permission to open this file.
This post was edited on 2004-05-03, 05:11 by Unknown user.
SailFast (Guest) #6
No profile available.
Link to this post
Regarding the IP access issue (IE you connect to your router config) you need to set the server to be on the DMZ (de-militarized zone) of your router.  Depending on the brand their should be a control panel called "DMZ" that will allow you to set which computer on your internal network will be able to be accessed from the outside instead of your router config.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 190.5 ms (93.3 ms) · 55 database queries in 70.6 ms
Current time: 2018-02-21, 12:50:40 (UTC +00:00)