Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General discussion RSS
Stream mp3's (i'm not talking about shoutcast)
frad #1
Member since Mar 2004 · 4 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Hi.... First I'd like to say that I have been looking everywhere for a program like this!!

One thing I would like to be able to do is click on a file and instead of downloading the file i want it to stream to winamp or whatever default media player is being used on the remote computer.  I realize that shoutcast is an option... but its more complicated than what i propose..  I also do not want to have to click the download link and then just click Open instead of Save...  I want it to stream automatically... and it can be done... I got it to work... sort of... ;)

I know how to do it, but i my technical skins with javascript are limited.  What needs to be done is a small *.m3u file needs to be made which points to the file you want to stream.  The m3u file would be saved on the webserver itself.  It needs to be made on the fly, when you click the song you want to stream, so i need to know how to write and read to a txt file.

the layout of an m3u file is simple:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:song_time,Song_title
http://webserver/music/song.mp3

The values song_time, song_title, and song.mp3 need to be filled in with the appropriate values.  BrowseAmp's api makes that simple since there are tags for each of them... the problem i am having is Creating the file..  JavaScript was not really meant for File I/O and I don't want to use ActiveX since that limits browser compatibility  (it will only work on IE...technically)

I got it to work by manualy creating the m3u file... as a proof of concept thing really..  double clicking on the m3u file causes winamp to immediately start to stream the song. 

sorry for the long post, but I have spent quite a while trying to get this to work.. :)  its not as simple as it seems... any thoughts?  if the m3u file can be created then the music can be streamed..
This post was edited on 2004-03-23, 08:19 by Unknown user.
frad #2
Well I tried to find some way to create a .m3u file and have failed miserably....  i am sure it could be done, but i just don't know enough about java script or HTML...

But I have found another solution and I think it may be an even better one.  First of all what i really wanted to do was create a web based interface to my music library so that my friends would be able to access my files.  There are several solutions out there.. gnump3... or andromeda... but the former is pretty hard to set up and andromeda took some time to read all my files (no caching).  It also cost about 25 dollars... I have no problem spending money on software, but i did not feel that it was worth that amount considering the features it offered.

Then I found BrowseAmp...and all i can say is... Henry....WOW... this is one amazing program.. Thanks a lot!  What I have done is edit the existing extended skin to create a music browser only... no buttons for altering Winamp, or other options... Just music browsing..

Now for the Streaming part..  I found this Java based mp3 player.. a tiny one..  I embeded it into the skin and not every track can be streamed straight from the web page.  And it works on any plaform that has Java.. it does not even need any kind of music player installed on the computer to sample a song.

Here is a screen cap of what i have done.  like I said all i did was mess around and edit your eXtended skin.
The author has attached one file to this post:
Downloader.JPG 55.5 kBytes
You have no permission to open this file.
frad #3
[Image: http://qlink.queensu.ca/~7fb2/browser.jpg]

Here is a viewable image...
Henry (Administrator) #4
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Yeah, this is a great solution.
It's exactly the engagement I was thinking of while creating this flexible skin system. I am always surprised what users like you do with it. Good work!!

Maybe you can give a hint where to find that Java based MP3 player. Thanks.
frad #5
Quote by Henry on 2004-03-24, 00:46:
Yeah, this is a great solution.
It's exactly the engagement I was thinking of while creating this flexible skin system. I am always surprised what users like you do with it. Good work!!

Maybe you can give a hint where to find that Java based MP3 player. Thanks.
Sure man... no problem...  

I got the Java program here... http://www.javazoom.net/applets/applets.html  

There are two kinds... i used the one called "Tiny player", but the other one is a full blown winamp clone...  I was wondering if it would be possible to put that in the frame where the winamp control buttons were before ( before i deleted them...)  And possibly have it play the currently shown songs... in a playlist...

All this would have to be on the fly again...  but i don't know if we can implement it easily in this skin.

In anycase the mini player solution works fine.  Also if you like, I don't mind sending you (or posting it here if you are ok with that) the edited skin.  Its a bit of a sloppy job  as i am figuring out the HTML as I go along... but it works.

or if you want to see it in action i can send you info on how to view it on my machine.
Henry (Administrator) #6
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Maybe you continue your experiments and post the results when you are finished.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 167.1 ms (82.3 ms) · 63 database queries in 60.9 ms
Current time: 2018-07-17, 09:40:49 (UTC +00:00)