Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Features request RSS
Search speed and random seed
raven (Guest) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
Hello, I'd like to thank you for a great piece of software! After using it for a few months I thought I should share a few annoyances of mine:

The search function is very slow, I'm playing mp3 files off a network share. I read your earlier reply to the post on the same topic, and maybe the fact that I have a lot of directories makes a difference.

Another function I'm using often is the Randomizer. I'm not convinced it's really that random, it prefers some of my worse albums ;-). Perhaps you could describe what method you are using to find a random file?

I really appreciate your time and effort,

thanks alot!

Raven - The script kiddie
Henry (Administrator) #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
All tracks are put into a list. A random number is generated and the corresponding track in the list is added.
Raven (Guest) #3
No profile available.
Link to this post
Quote by Henry on 2004-01-27, 19:37:
All tracks are put into a list. A random number is generated and the corresponding track in the list is added.
Thank you for your answer. Are you seeding the random number generator everytime you add a random track, or do you keep the first seed?

If you reinitialize the seed at every request, the number won't be as random as if you used the same seed and just retrieved new numbers from the number generator.
Henry (Administrator) #4
You are right. I reinitialized the seed at every request. I have changed it, comes with the next release.
Many thanks for your hint!!

Should not make a difference in search speed even if you use lots of directories if you have caching enabled. Strange  :unsure:
raven (Guest) #5
No profile available.
Link to this post
I find your lack of releases disturbing.
Henry (Administrator) #6
Yeah, mee too!
Unfortunetely I don't laze around all day but have some other things to do. Ever heard of writing studying, exams  or earning money? So whenever I like to work on BrowseAmp I'll do that so please be a bit more patient with me ;)
raven (Guest) #7
No profile available.
Link to this post
Rejoice! For we have true randomness!  :-D
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 178.6 ms (87.5 ms) · 55 database queries in 77.7 ms
Current time: 2018-12-14, 22:36:04 (UTC +00:00)