Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General discussion RSS
Checking multiple instances...
...to prevent port binding problems!
[email protected] (Guest) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
This one may read a little weird, I know, but it's indeed a problem I run into in my frequent WinAmp/BrowseAmp use. We'll begin with trying this:

1. Run WinAmp with BrowseAmp enabled
2. Try starting another WinAmp instance, e.g. by clicking on any *.mp3 file

In case you've set the general WinAmp option, "Allow multiple WinAmp execution" (don't know the exact English text), you will get a network error 10048. WinAmp starts a second instance and BrowseAmp then tries to bind another TCP/IP listener onto its defined web server port that's already occupied... Bang!

"No problem", you may say, "just remove this unnecessary 'Allow multiple WinAmp execution' option and you're done!"
That's right, taking the two steps described above then will not produce the error any more, since only one WinAmp and BrowseAmp instance become started/activated. At least as long as you don't run WinAmp as a Windows XP service...

I've set up FireDaemon (see www.firedaemon.com) to run WinAmp as invisible service immediately when my PC is started, whether I am or I'm not logged into any user account. It's really a great thing to have a WWW-GUI to all my MP3s on the PC jukebox everywhere and all the time in my home LAN! :-)
But when I'm actually logged into the system and then take step 2 again, often "by mistake" in Windows Explorer etc. - guess what happens... WinAmp does not realize that it is executed under FireDaemon's context already, starts another instance and BrowseAmp tries to bind its web server port again: Error 10048, as expected.

Finally my question: Any chance to detect a running BrowseAmp instance seperately from the running WinAmp instance and prevent a doubled start? In fact, *one* web server to control a music library on a PC is enough, right?
Hey, to make this clear: BrowseAmp is a MEGA-COOL tool, and this is not a real problem but only a little inquiry from a hardcore perfectionist user... ;-)

Greetings,
Hans-Juergen
Henry (Administrator) #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
I don't think it is possible to detect a BrowseAmp instance which is in fact only a DLL used by Winamp but if I can find some code for this task I'll try this.

But if even Winamp, as an application, cannot detect previous instances when loaded with FireDaemon (I don't know that program), I don't see a chance to do that with BrowseAmp.

Why don't you just click the 10048-MsgBox away. There is no problem using Winamp when you don't run the BrowseAmp webserver. But make sure you close the non-BrowseAmp-Winamp before the original Winamp. Otherwise the configuration is overwritten by the newer Winamp which has the webserver disabled.

Viele Grüße  ;)
[email protected] (Guest) #3
No profile available.
Link to this post
Why don't you just click the 10048-MsgBox away. There is no problem using Winamp when you don't run the BrowseAmp webserver.

Yes, I do click the 10048-box away (since I have to...) and close the upcoming BrowseAmp dialog afterwards, and then WinAmp plays the desired file. But I think there could be a simple way to catch this issue: If the BrowseAmp configuration dialog had an option, "Suppress startup error messages"... 
With this option set the port binding failure would still occur - but BrowseAmp could ignore it on demand and stay cool = simply don't show message box and it's own configuration dialog. B)

As mentioned before: Not a real problem, just a tiny possible tweak.

Greetings,
Hans
Henry (Administrator) #4
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
You are right! I'll check this out.
[email protected] (Guest) #5
No profile available.
Link to this post
You are right! I'll check this out.

Very nice that you consider even this kind of weirdo notes!
;)

Gruesse,
Hansi
SteveB #6
Member since Apr 2003 · 29 posts
Group memberships: Members
There's a fairly simple workaround to this. It's not the "cleanest" solution ever, but should work!

Under C:\Program Files, copy your entire Winamp directory to WinampService (or whatever you want to call it). Then you'll have two totally separate installations of Winamp and each is separately configurable.

Configure FireDaemon to run C:\Program Files\WinampService\Winamp.exe (Thanks for the link to FireDaemon by the way - looks useful!)

If you configured the one running as a service to use BrowseAmp, and the other one NOT to use BrowseAmp, it should solve your problem.

In fact, you could have them both running BrowseAmp on different ports if you wanted!

Steve
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 178.5 ms (87.2 ms) · 54 database queries in 70.2 ms
Current time: 2018-12-14, 03:32:06 (UTC +00:00)