Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Features request RSS
2x Suggestions
Kani (Guest) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
Hi :)

I have a large mp3 collection (10,000 files+), and recently switched from Nullsoft's WWWinamp to Browseamp

Browseamp is great, but there are 2 things I would like to suggest:

firstly, an option to support multiple music directories- I have about 10, split across 3 hard drives, and the only way I can get BrowseAmp to get them all together is to use NTFS junctions and mount them all together underneath a common folder, which I then give to BA.

secondly, indexing/caching dir lists to speed searching: at the moment, it takes roughly a minute to perform a search through my library (3x seagate 80gb barracuda 4s, 512 ram, XP1600+, etc)- WWWinamp used to take about a second, simply because it scanned all the files in your music directories first.

I hope you take these suggestions into account, and I await (hopefully!?) their integration into a future version of BrowseAamp

Peace, Kani
Henry (Administrator) #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Thanks for your suggestions!  :)

I agree with both but I didn't find time to work on them yet.

Indexing is on top of my to-do list (in my head).

Have you got an idea how I should integrate the multiple folders all over your drives into the directory structure BrowseAmp uses without loosing that 1:1 image of the current folder?
Kani (Guest) #3
No profile available.
Link to this post
well, you don't have to do that (combining multiple physical directories into a single dir)- but it would be nice if you can put in, say:

C:\mp3-1
D:\mp3-2
E:\mp3-3

etc,

and they appear in browseamp as:

mp3-1
mp3-2
mp3-3

(just fairly basic) :-p
Guest_genekeenan (Guest) #4
No profile available.
Link to this post
indexing would be great for creating a workable search: i can't use the search function on the main directory because it simply won't work, my collection is so huge.

I had not thought about the problem of mounting different drives as being a problem but it is a good point. I run W2K Server which has DFS (distributed file system), it makes creating one directory spanning across multible drives and machines a real snap.

gk
Kani (Guest) #5
No profile available.
Link to this post
come to think of it, another couple of things that would be nice:

an anchor to take you back to the right place down the browse list (eg a dir with 400 releases in it, you go into one, and back out, and you return to the same place in the list, instead of back up the top), and an html code for JUST the parent directory (eg C:\mp3[b]Annie_Lennox-A_Thousand_Beautiful_Things__Gabriel_And_Dresden_Remix-Promo_CDR-2003-TGX[/b]\01-annie_lennox-a_thousand_beautiful_things__gabriel_and_dresden_techfunk_mix-tgx.mp3), and a html code to show just the filename by itself (without the path.... eg 01-annie_lennox-a_thousand_beautiful_things__gabriel_and_dresden_techfunk_mix-tgx)

:D?
Henry (Administrator) #6
Skin design is your business, right?  :-D
Henry (Administrator) #7
I'm working on these suggestions right now. Give me some days...
Henry (Administrator) #8
...an anchor to take you back to the right place down the browse list...
Enable the 'use full pathname' checkbox in the BrowseAmp setup and use your browser BACK button to navigate through your directories. Easy, eh?
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 178.6 ms (94.3 ms) · 60 database queries in 77.8 ms
Current time: 2018-07-22, 18:47:46 (UTC +00:00)