Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: General discussion RSS
Guest Account
tripp (Guest) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
I know you can have logins for the server.  I know you can have none.  But is there a way to have a basic anon user that doesnt require login?

that is, i want to allow everyone to play off the playlist, but i want to offer a login field for people i trust so they can browse my mp3 folder, download and add to the playlist.

it seems that there is no 'default' user, esp once you add accounts to the server.  am i missing something (please say yes)?

thanks
Henry (Administrator) #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
(please say yes)?
No! :-D

There is no default guest account. And I don't think there will ever be one because the HTTP authentication is something binary (either with OR without authentication).

But I can think of at least two ways to solve your problem:

1) Create a anon user account with some poor password and write it somewhere on your page.
2) Create a link to your BrowseAmp main page with http://user:[email protected]/index.html
or let advanced users enter their password manually.
tripp (Guest) #3
No profile available.
Link to this post
thanks - the link with the l/p included is probably what i will have to do if this is indeed the case.  not a perfect workaround, but i might be able to tweak something out of it.

i think it could be possible - why couldnt you have a simple check in the code which says that if both fields are null, user 'guest' is enabled?

its not that different than whats going on now.  then one could have basic rights for unauthenticated users and more exciting stuff for those who logged in. 

i dont want to hassle the guests who come to my site - i would rather allow them to view and select stuff from my playlist and then offer a login to others on that same main page of the server.

doesnt seem like a big deal - goodness knows most http servers do this (iis has the iuser account that works like ive described).  seems like a simple 'if' condition...

maybe im wrong.

but thanks for the idea of using a guest login.  that might work though it isnt as clean.
Henry (Administrator) #4
Hmm, maybe you are right.  :whistling:
I'll work on that. I have to do some things with the user management anyway.

Thanks for your advice!!
Saxtus (Administrator) #5
Member since Jan 2003 · 147 posts · Location: Athens, Greece
Quote by tripp on 2003-06-23, 17:10:
i think it could be possible - why couldnt you have a simple check in the code which says that if both fields are null, user 'guest' is enabled?
That won't bypass the authentication dialog though, user must press at least "OK" button anyway...
The only way to bypass it is to have a new "special" link that won't authenticate at all.
Saxtus
tripp (Guest) #6
No profile available.
Link to this post
well, obviously my code example is a bit simplified.  the whole point would be to bypass the authentication - if 'allow guest user' is checked in the prefs and no l/p is passed to the server when a page is requested, the 'guest' page is served (the 'guest' page displaying whatever the 'guest' has rights to view).

or, yes, a link, which doesnt authenticate.  but then you have 2 urls...and i know you cant run 2 instances of browseamp on the same winamp, so i think that is a bigger issue than adding a guest account.

or am i missing something?
Henry (Administrator) #7
I can suppress the authentication dialog and use a guest account but then you need a special link for registered users 'cause no authentication dialog is displayed... weird.
Henry (Administrator) #8
Other point: The user management does only affects the html commands NOT the served pages. So there can't be a guest page or something.
And I won't implement user management for all html tags 'cause that wouldn't make it faster...
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 151.3 ms (63.6 ms) · 64 database queries in 46.3 ms
Current time: 2018-08-19, 02:23:20 (UTC +00:00)