Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Features request RSS
Missing/extra Timing Tags
Keefy #1
Member since Mar 2003 · 89 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
It's me again.  :unsure:

I've got quite a few live/mix albums that exist as one long track. I've noticed that the following tags don't exist:

<#SongLengthHour>
<#SongPositionHour>
<#SongRemainHour>

So, tracks of that length don't appear correctly. A whole CD usually looks as though it is only 10 mins long, 'cos there is no hour option.

This does open up another question though...how do you handle this? You'd probably want to not display the hour value when the track is < 60 min long, so you'd get a display like:
Track1    1:10:54
Track2       15:49
Instead of:
Track1    1:10:54
Track2    0:15:49
To do that, you'd probably need a special tag, to allow most skinners to pull this value direct from BrowseAmp, instead of trying to work it out client-side.

Also, in my skin I'm using Javascript Date() objects to produce the timing displays, which allows me to take a reference time of when the data was last refreshed. Using the reference time and the current time, you can work out exactly where the song is at any time (provided it's in the "play" state, but I check for that).

To do this, I need to read each of the Min and Sec values in individually, using separate XSL transforms to pick them out. Then I have to work out the total number of seconds for each. It's not very efficient, so what would make things really easy would be a tag that just gets the above times in seconds only. So, for a 1:40 track, you would get a value of 100 seconds when requesting it.

Thoughts?
Henry (Administrator) #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Uh, never thought of such huge tracks...  :blink:

I do a 'seconds/60 mod 60' operation to generate the minutes. I could remove the mod so you can get as many minutes as you like. It's easy for you to calculate the total seconds then. Would that be ok for you?

Maybe I add a <#TotalSeconds> tag some day but I don't think it's high priority.
Keefy #3
Member since Mar 2003 · 89 posts
Group memberships: Members
Sure, in fact removing the mod is probably best for all. 70:13 is more understandable than 1:10:73, especially when dealing with CDs which are usually around that size.

I've got lot's of files like this, mostly live stuff, but some is like promo releases that mix the tracks together, but they never got around to splitting them up.

The lack of a total seconds one is a bit of a pain. It's because of the XSL engine I'll need to use to support IE5.5. It's a pre-W3C-standard version, and lacks important stuff like variables and maths functions. I could make a transform that returns the data as "70:13" then just string parse out both parts. At the moment I'm using a different transform to pick out both separately from the XML, which isn't very efficient. I'll get round to this soon.
zarkon (Guest) #4
No profile available.
Link to this post
Maybe I add a <#TotalSeconds> tag some day but I don't think it's high priority. 

That tag (together with a "<#TotalSecondsRemain>" tag) would be really nice to have for things like the <meta refresh...> tag. You could then reload some frames (like a frame where there's just the songtitle information) right after the song has finished instead of every few seconds.  (I know I could solve that in JavaScript, but it's much more browser independent this way)

Cheers,

Zarkon.
Henry (Administrator) #5
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
I've just added the following tags:[list][*]<#SongTotalSec>
[*]<#SongTotalSecRemain>
[/list]They will be included in the next release coming soon. I hope you are happy now   :-D
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 235.8 ms (109.1 ms) · 55 database queries in 94.8 ms
Current time: 2018-02-25, 19:36:58 (UTC +00:00)