Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Features request RSS
Playlist Flooding Protection
Henry (Administrator) #1
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
I just want to discuss the spam protection problem with you to work out the best solution.

For those of you that don't know what "playlist flooding protection" is let me explain: BrowseAmp supports many different users with different privileges. Everyone can add his favorite tracks to the playlist and to prevent a few users from flooding the playlist with their faforite songs some guys asked me to add a "playlist flooding protection".

I think there are two different ways to implement such a flooding protection.

1) set an "add-file-interval" that has to run out before a user can add a new track.

2) allow a user to add x tracks within an hour.

Here comes your part? Which one would you like to see in a future build?

ps: the first one is much easier to implement...  ;)
Djasp #2
Member since Apr 2003 · 4 posts
Group memberships: Members
I haven't played around with the user management options yet so maybe I am (again) stating the obvious but what about setting a maximum amount of songs per user.

This should then be configurable per user, so that you can give some users more room to play with than others.
Keefy #3
Member since Mar 2003 · 89 posts
It's not something I'm looking for, but I think that the "X per hour" would be best, from the end-users point of view. It means that they can queue up an hours worth of music then go away. Otherwise, they would be queue, wait, queue etc.

Maybe make the "per hour" into "per X", allowing the admin to configure it. I see what you mean about which is the easiest to code, I can't think of an easy way to do it this way. You'd need to track each time a user queued a song, and give the "checkAllowance" call to ability to prune off old entries that are outwith the specified period. Then, just return how many items are still in the list. Not too bad I suppose...
mavas #4
Member since Feb 2003 · 24 posts
I've been thinking about this alot, and I think that the "X per hour" would be the best for the users.

With the first option users don't know what's going on, if they have to wait everytime -> they think the computer is slow or something like that  ;)

In my view there will be only one user who's logged in, and that several people can access (with a blank password). This way someone will add tracks till he's satiesfied, and then let it go on to another.
It would be the best to let the user add a maximum of minutes per time.
That means they can add several minutes of music, and after a set maximum they can't add any more songs.
The person who's next after the first user, can only add the next tracks after a few minutes or so.

This would be the ideal situation, but I don't know if that's reachable for you Henry? Maybe it's way to complicated, I really have no idea about it.
Keefy #5
That's a good idea; basing it on the length of the music that the user queued. Bit more complicated to code, but not impossible.

You could set a restriction to make sure that any particular user can't queue more than one hours of music at a time...but then you would need to also track which user queued which song. Then you need to consider tracks removed from the playlist by other users. Hmmm.
Juido #6
Member since Apr 2003 · 28 posts
hmmm

x per hour doenst sounds good to me.

as i use it as a webradio playlist portal i need to use some user accounts.

and what happend if a "bigfan" added 10 songs of the same band in a row ? all other have to hear this but no more can be added

thats y i belive a ip filter will be nice and usefull feature. every ip is only allowed to add one track every 10 minutes for example
--
Lead-Dj of
#generation.X - the next Generation is You
#generation.X @ Quakenet
Keefy #7
You'd probably want to limit that kind of system based upon the number of logged in users. Thus, one user gets 100% control, two users each get 50% control. Getting pretty complicated though...
Henry (Administrator) #8
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
:wacko: Ahrggg, c'mon. I won't spend my whole free time with that...
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 168.3 ms (86.5 ms) · 76 database queries in 68.2 ms
Current time: 2018-12-16, 05:42:48 (UTC +00:00)