Forum: General discussion RSS
Playlist Order With .m3u Files
Playlists load in wrong order
Page:  1  2  next 
SteveB #1
Member since Apr 2003 · 29 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help stop me going insane... I have a weird problem loading playlists with BrowseAmp.

I have a directory tree containing all my playlists in m3u format. When I click on one of them it loads and starts playing fine, but the order of the list seems a bit jumbled - for example with the one I'm looking at now, what should be the 20th track is second. If I double click the same files in explorer or drop them into Winamp's playlist box they load in the correct order. I'm using BrowseAmp 1.81 and Winamp 2.90. I hoped Winamp's "Sort files on load" option would help, but it makes no difference.

All tracks that the playlists refer to are named "01 - Song name.mp3", "02 - Song name.mp3", etc, and they all have the correct track numbers in their ID3 tags.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Steve
Keefy #2
Member since Mar 2003 · 89 posts
There is a problem with Winamp, when you play/enqueue a directory of files (or multiple selected files), where the same problem occurs, hence the "sort files on load" option, that's why it's there. However, this shouldn't happen with playlists.

Can you repeat the problem by loading the Playlist into Winamp directly (bottom right button in playlist editor), instead of going through BrowseAmp? Or is it specifically through BrowseAmp you see it? (I would be very surprised if that were the case)
SteveB #3
Hi Keefy,

No, everything works fine if I do it directly with Winamp. I've just tried it again to double check.

The same problem happens (using BrowseAmp) whether I try to load a playlist or a directory.

I've even just checked the dates of the MP3 files to see if they might have had something to do with it, but even they sort the files in the correct order!

It seems to be that the list loads in *almost* the right order, but one file from near the end of the list always gets slotted in at number 2.

Weird huh?
SteveB #4
More info:

It looks like the problem is always the same - what should be the last track gets loaded as track 2. If I hit sort by filename in Winamp's playlist editor it does sort the files correctly.
Keefy #5
Are you using the Playifnotplaying option? I think Harry said in another post that there is a problem with the Winamp API for this; only the last track actually gets places as next. Sounds similar.
SteveB #6
Isn't that a new feature in version 2? I'm using 1.81 at the moment.

I'll give V2 a go though, actually, and see if it makes any difference...
SteveB #7
OK, tried V2. More strange findings! Using the base skin under V2, if I click the name of the M3U file, it loads in the right order but starts playing the last track. If I click "add" (the bit that uses the playifnotplaying option) it loads the list in the right order and start playing the first track.

Curiouser and curciouser...
Henry (Administrator) #8
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
What you are talking about are different problems.

1st - playlists are scrambled on load(last track gets loaded as track 2)
This is a Winamp <2.90 problem but is fixed in the 2.90 version. Fine!

2nd - adding a playlist with the file= command plays the last track
That was a BrowseAmp issue. Just fixed. Fine!

3rd - files are not sorted on enqueue
That's a Winamp problem again as Keefy described. Bad!
I hope they will fix it. Maybe there is an API command to resort the playlist. I'll research on that.
SteveB #9
Hi Henry, thanks for your reply.

I agree with your 2nd and 3rd points (both related to BrowseAmp 2 Beta), but I'm not so sure about the 1st (related to BrowseAmp 1.81)...

I'm still seeing the problem with Winamp 2.90 and BrowseAmp 1.81...
Henry (Administrator) #10
However...
It does not occur with Winamp 2.90 and BrowseAmp 2 beta, right?
SteveB #11
That's right.

I just checked it on Wal-Mart's site (thanks WM!) - same thing there, too.
Keefy #12
Oops, when I mentioned "playifnotplaying", I really meant to say "insert". Did you mention somewhere Henry that when running "insert" with a directory or playlist, the last track is the only one that gets inserted, while the rest get added to the end? Would make sense with the last track being "inserted" in position 2.

Or am I just confusing things further here...  :unsure:
Henry (Administrator) #13
Didn't I say somewhere that the insert command is an undocumented Winamp function a does NOT work with directories? Sorry for that...
SteveB #14
Don't know about that. I'm not explicitly using any commands. The problem happens using the base skin completely unmodified - doesn't make any difference whether I try to insert the playlist to play next, or add it to the end of the playlist, or whatever. Clicking anything that loads a playlist produces the problem!
SteveB #15
Hmm, just thought I'd better clarify that a bit.

If Winamp's current playlist is empty and you try to load a playlist, the last track gets put in as track 2.

If Winamp currently has a playlist, clicking another playlist in BrowseAmp does add every track of the second list after the end of Winamp's existing list, but the last track of the new list is moved to be the second track within the newly inserted files. Does that make sense?!

Example:

Winamp currently has this list loaded:
01 AAAA1
02 AAAA2
03 AAAA3
04 AAAA4

Then I click on a list that contains tracks in the following order:
01 BBBB1
02 BBBB2
03 BBBB3
04 BBBB4

After clicking on it, Winamp's playlist will be:
01 AAAA1
02 AAAA2
03 AAAA3
04 AAAA4
05 BBBB1
06 BBBB4
07 BBBB2
08 BBBB3

Cheers!
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  next 
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 196.1 ms (111.8 ms) · 109 database queries in 84.8 ms
Current time: 2018-12-12, 09:33:44 (UTC +00:00)