Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Features request RSS
#browser Minimize Filesize + Network Directory
Knut (Guest) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
Hi, Thanks for creating a great tool! I have a couple of suggestions that I hope you can implement to make Browseamp even better!

1) I'm using a PocketPC with IE as a remote control via a wireless network. When using the Browser to access my directory structure, it takes quite a long time. It turns out that the throughput of the network card on the PocketPC is not all that great. I have about 120 directories in my root catalogue, and it takes about 20 seconds to get the full list....

Using my PC, I saved the #Browser output to a file, and this takes about the same amount of time to access from the PocketPC (so I'ts not a processing issue), so I figured it would have to be the size of the #Browser output that takes this long to transfer...

I removed all the "addtolist" texts from the file, removed the references to the GIF files for "directory", "file" and "add" icons, and I was down to about 6-7 seconds download time.

My suggestions are:
- Make the addtolist text optional (not just empty text, but possibility to remove the tag alltogether
- Make the icons optional (I would prefer a single letter instead of the icons to gain download speed)
- Possibility to use short names for any commands that are repeatedly output (every character saved, will decrease download time)
- Whatever other ideas you might have to reduce the size of the #Browser output file

I was looking to download the source code of BrowseAmp in order to do these fixes myself, but I guess you are not giving that away...

2) I want to start WinAmp, when the PC boots (without having to log on). This is possible in Windows XP, using the "sceduled task" concept.

I have all my MP3's sitting on a network drive, and when WinAmp starts, this drive is not yet accessible. This results in that Browseamp resets the default root directory to the winamp installation catalog. This is actually saved in the config, so I have to reconfigure WinAmp every time I start up.

It is possible to have BrowseAmp not reset the root directory, and not try to access the directory on startup, but rather to wait for a request from a web browser before accessing the directory (at which time the network drive should be available).

It would also be nice if BrowseAmp could setup a network drive mapping on startup....

3) I've tried creating a folder shortcut in my catalogue structure, but It seems that BrowseAmp don't consider this to be a folder, so it is not displayed in the directory list. Is it possible to have this shortcut displayed like a directory?

Regards,
Knut
[email protected]
Henry (Administrator) #2
Member since Jan 2003 · 865 posts · Location: Munich Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
3) I've tried creating a folder shortcut in my catalogue structure, but It seems that BrowseAmp don't consider this to be a folder, so it is not displayed in the directory list. Is it possible to have this shortcut displayed like a directory?
I have tried that before but I didn't find any useful documentation or code to follow directory links. Any ideas?

ps: I'll check your other requests. Answer will come soon.
Henry (Administrator) #3
It is possible to have BrowseAmp not reset the root directory, and not try to access the directory on startup, but rather to wait for a request from a web browser before accessing the directory (at which time the network drive should be available).
I'm not going to remove the check at all because I may cause lots of problems when I try to access a non existing directory later. And I don't want to ceck every direcotry access for validity. Maybe I'll set up an ini file entry for that.

I've tried creating a folder shortcut in my catalogue structure, but It seems that BrowseAmp don't consider this to be a folder, so it is not displayed in the directory list. Is it possible to have this shortcut displayed like a directory?
I just found some code for parsing .lnk files. Let me check that out...
Henry (Administrator) #4
Links(.lnk) work!  :-D

I'll add this soon...
Wal-Mart (Guest) #5
No profile available.
Link to this post
You are a hard worker :-)
How much time do you spend on this a day? 

Wal-Mart
wallyx.com
Henry (Administrator) #6
You compared the posting times  :rolleyes:
I do not sit in front of my computer all the day. And be sure I didn't spent more than half an hour on that piece of code yesterday.

I can't say how much I work on that a day. Some days I don't write a single line of code and others I sit several hours on a problem. It's something like relaxation for me, instead of watching TV (there's only bulls██t on tv).
Knut (Guest) #7
No profile available.
Link to this post
Great that you found a solution for the .lnk directories  :-D

I understand that you do not want to skip checking the validity of the root directory. That should be no
problem now that it is possible to follow the links (I can just add a link below the root directory that points to
my network drive).

However, after you do the check to see if the root directory is valid and find that it is NOT valid, you default to the winamp directory (or something). Is it necessary to store this default directory into the configuration? It would be nice if it was possible to restart winamp from the browser, and that after the restart, the initial root directory is in use (now that it is actually valid). The way it works now, I have to enter the directory again into the configuration after each restart (Of course the .lnk solution will be sufficient for me, but I still think it's a little bit strange to store the default into configuration).

Thanks, and keep up the excellent work!

Regards,
Knut
Knut (Guest) #8
No profile available.
Link to this post
Hi Henry,

How are things going with regards to minimizing the filesize of #Browser output? I read through our correspondence again, and see that you haven't really commented on my suggestion to minimize the size. The aim is to speed up the browsing on a handheld PocketPC.

Regards,
Knut
Henry (Administrator) #9
No I did NOT forget your suggestions - and all the others - but during the last weeks I had enough to to with QCD BrowseAmp. Now that the first version is finished I'd like to implement the new template engine to the Winamp version. That may also take a while...
Unfortunately I have got some exams within the next weeks and some other (commercial) projects going on. So there is not much time left...  :(
But I hope I can find some time to work on that too.

Thanks for your patience.

hint #1: Why don't you create some subdirectories for your music (like 'A' to 'Z'). That would also imcrease the speed. :)

hint #2: Try QCD Player with QCD BrowseAmp. The .lnk files work there and you can create really small pages on your own.  :-D
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 166.6 ms (80.5 ms) · 65 database queries in 56.4 ms
Current time: 2018-02-21, 13:05:31 (UTC +00:00)